Controlled Substances

If anesthesia or analgesia is part of your research, or the subject of your research, some commonly used compounds of these classes are controlled substances. In keeping with new direction from Health Canada’s Office of Controlled Substances, scientific exemptions for the use of controlled substances will only be required in certain limited cases. Contact us to determine if you need a scientific exemption for your project.

 If an exemption is required, they must be renewed annually. Exemptions are obtained by submitting an application to the National Exemption Section of the Office of Controlled Substances in Ottawa. The processing time is on average 4-6 weeks.

Let us know if you have any questions about your application. We maintain a template on file that answers commonly asked questions that we can send to you on request. Note that DCM is only permitted to dispense controlled substances to exemption-holding scientists when DCM is identified as the supplier on the approved exemption.